Saturday, June 28, 2008

Good-bye


Tonight our family had a good-bye dinner with Ames' family. I feel full of emotion. Our whole family is full of emotion. I stood on the porch as my daughter grabbed me in a hug and started to cry. I brought her in, rocked her, and cried with her. I watched as my eldest son sought to choke back tears unsuccessfully, and my middle fella' fidget until it was time to come hug me goodnight and he fell apart in the safety of my hug and rocking chair. It's hard enough to explain to children how life works, as it is. It is even harder to explain good-byes. I've always hated good-byes. I remember the first time I had to say a major good-bye was when Missy moved to GA. I was devastated. We have maintained a wonderful friendship, and I've explained to my kids that they can do the same with Ames' gals. Heck, maybe we will end up In-laws one day!!!! :)


I can remember when our children were just infants. Ames nursing, using cloth diapers, and doing everything so natural. I loved all the ideas, but used disposable diapers, bottles, and formula. Honestly, I felt a bit intimidated by just how together she was, and so calm and pretty doing it. I remember sitting on the floor with our toddlers. I remember a time when we didn't talk about much that was personal. Oh, we still had great conversation, and I loved how quick witted she was. She has only grown to be more masterful in her witty quips. I love it!


My friendship with Ames changed several years ago, after nearly losing her to this life. At that point, I knew I wanted to get to know her better and was so very thankful that God had spared her life. Ames and I began to talk more, and about deeper matters. I began to realize she was more like me than I ever imagined. A couple of years later we would go through another trying ordeal that would bring us even closer, Ames loved me when I was fire spitting mad, and cussing my way through my days. Ames allowed me some much needed space to be very real, and was real with me about how she struggled with the same matter. I think some of life's struggles provide us with stronger relational glue than others. I believe we've waded through some of those waters together.


Ames is such a godly example of a woman, a wife, a mother, and a friend. She truly is a friend that points me back to Christ. Either through God's word, prayer, or my husband's leadership. I treasure this in my friendship with her. She loves God, and loves others. She's honest, and trustworthy. What more could you ask for in a friend?


Ames, thank you for so many years of friendship, fellowship, and love at a close distance. I look forward to the coming years and all they have in store for our families on the next leg of our respective journeys here. Though you won't be as close at hand, I feel certain our hearts will stay knitted in love.


May the grace of our Lord be with you, now and always may you stay blameless till He comes. May the Love of God, and the intimate friendship of the Holy Spirit be with you...


I love you girl!

5 comments:

Kim said...

I'm so sorry. I really almost teared up reading this, because of all my homesick thoughts about Birmingham.
I love that God created us to be relational with one another.
I hope your heart feels better.

Ames said...

Blast, now you have me fighting back tears AGAIN. I woke up several times in the night with a ache in the pit of my stomach. I really HATE leaving your family. I want to see your kids grow up.
Our good-bye was the hardest I have ever had to do.

Thank you for all the lovely things you said about me.

Thank you for all the great years. I know I will be visiting you the first chance I get.

I love you.

Gwen said...

What a beautiful tribute to an amazing woman! Ames is truly a woman of God. I can't imagine a more wonderful SIL.

I'm sorry that this will be hard on your family. Perhaps this is a good time to burst, soulfully, into Michael W. Smith's "Friends are Friends Forever."

Missy said...

I hate that I've never met Ames.:(
If I lived near you I would take you to starbucks and I would do something clumsy on purpose just to make you laugh. :)

Shan said...

Stace, I feel guilty. Why? For being hopping-excited that Ames and Mark are coming home to us, and in the process are leaving you.

Because I am Canadian, I just need to say...

Sorry.