Friday, June 6, 2008






Lately I've been seeking to focus on the things that make me feel rich. No, not money, but the things I look at and gain simple pleasure from. We all need pleasure, and what I think I may need, or what I may imagine as the best pleasure for me may not be what the Lord has for me at this time. I am not wanting to miss those pleasures He DOES have for me to enjoy right at hand.


I've been praying for a table so I can eat my breakfast in the garden. I forgot that I already had one stored away. I set a budget of $20 for table/chairs/table cloth, etc. I used the table I had, and went to a thrift shop in town today to pick up 2 chairs. I paid $5 each and got a table cloth for $1. I love being frugal and finding inexpensive treasures.


I've always wanted a clothesline. I had one post in my yard already. A neighbor was fussing one day to me about her husband tearing up her lawn in the back. She walked me out and there, lying on the ground were 2 metal clothesline poles. The ones you can't buy anymore. I asked her what she was going to do with them. She told me she would have her husband drop them off. He did when Ames' husband and FIL had stopped by to pick something up, so the Lord even provided me the manpower to haul the heavy posts back and load one into the car of a passersby. I am enjoying hanging out the clothes each day. It sort of makes me feel like a 50's housewife. I just wish there were other wives/mothers out hanging their clothes at the same time, then gathering at the fence to chat, or meeting for tea/coffee at 10:00. That is a time gone by, but I can still enjoy the simple pleasure of clothes blowing in the wind and the amazing smell of clothes that have dried on the line.


A simple life with simple pleasures...a good life!


7 comments:

Marsha said...

Love, love, love this post! I'll be right over for coffee.

Gwen said...

Great post. I'll bring the rhubarb cake.

Chuck Hicks said...

The wrens, the wrens.

We have house wrens living in the bird box attached to one of the clothesline poles. The parents have gotten used to Garden Gal and the chaps working right around them, and come and go from the box rather non-chalantly. I think you can stand about a foot away from them.

Missy said...

Contented sigh coming out of my mouth right now :)

Shan said...

Oh I like this post too.

I have been longing for a clothesline for years. I have energy consumption anxiety about using a dryer in the summer.

Stace' said...

I have household heat retention anxiety in the summer.

Kris Seek said...

your blog ROCKS!!