Sunday, September 28, 2008

Slapin' Grandma Goodness


While I'm posting recipes, I may as well share this one that I just put together. With the economy in the shape it's in, I figure I better be teaching my kids to love the "old" recipes so that they can be resourceful in years to come, and have quality of life in the midst of hard times. I want them to have the ability to pull together a smashing dinner with very little on hand.
Bread Pudding:
2 cu. milk
1/4 cu. butter
2/3 cu sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cu. bread (I used 1 loaf of Italian bread cut up into 1" cubes)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat milk until film forms on top. Add butter. Stir until butter is melted. Cool to lukewarm. Mix sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla well. Put bread in casserole dish. Slowly add the milk mixture to the sugar mixture and mix well. Pour over the bread. Bake 45-50 min. Let sit for 10 min. Pour Whiskey Sauce or whipped cream over top and serve.
Whiskey Sauce:
1 1/2 cu. Heavy cream
2 tsp corn starch
2 tbsp. cold water
1/3 cu. sugar
1/3 cu Bourbon (I used Honey Whiskey. Mmmm!!)
Slowly add water to corn starch while stirring until well blended. Set aside. Have sugar measured and handy. Have whiskey handy. Bring cream to boil. Add corn starch mix to cream and whisk constantly. Return to boil. Reduce heat, whisk, and cook for 30 sec. DON'T BURN!!!
Remove from heat. Add sugar and whiskey. Stir until sugar melts. Let cool.

15 comments:

Missy said...

YUMMY!!! Where do you get honey whiskey? Never heard of it!
This sounds like a name your husband has come up with...Slapin Grandma Goodness

Stace' said...

Get Honey Whiskey at your local ABC store.

No, I came up with this one.

I'll plan on making this when you come.

Ames said...

I've tried making bread puddin' and it never tuns out too great. The kids never like it. Maybe I should try this recipe.

Stace' said...

Ames,
Put enough Whiskey in your sauce, and they can eat it yummy.

Missy said...

YEAH! That will be awesome!

There is an ABC store right at the end of my neighborhood. Never been though.
I'm very Holy aren't I? ;)

Stace' said...

I bummed this from a neighbor. It was Sunday, and the store was closed.

I was once walking out of one of those stores after buying Vodka for linen spray and ran into another homeschool family. Ha!Ha!!

Ames said...

I suppose if I drank enough of the whiskey, I wouldn't care if they liked it or not. Win, win.

Bev said...

Yum-Oh! Make some for me too, will ya? Please? I'll bring the coffee!

Bev

Chuck Hicks said...

I've reported y'all to your pastors, deacons, elders (even the Saints Gathered Unto the Name of the Lord in Greater Tacoma). You'll be excommunicated this Sunday.

Stace' said...

I guess that will put you in a tough spot if I get excommunicated, huh?

No puddin' for you! Ha!

Bev said...

I'll drink to that!

Ames said...

Too funny, Chuck.

Marsha said...

Will white lightning made right here in Snowbird work?

Stace' said...

Marsha,
I'm sure it would work. Try it out for your upcoming board meeting and let me know how it works out.

..
U

Shan said...

Stace, tagged you in a meme.

I still like the looks of that pumpkin bread...