Saturday, August 25, 2007

Round Up


All summer I have been pondering what to do with about 200 additional square feet of yard that is fenced in behind my garage, and on the side, just off of my garden. It has just been a grassy (really just hearty weeds) part of the yard. I began to imagine how much I could grow in those areas, and provide more garden space for greater production.


I waited until the weather got to a more tolerable heat (around 97) and one morning a couple of weeks ago went out early with my Round Up and started squirting away. It took me a good hour. During that hour I was left in quiet, with no distractions, and had lots to sort out in the quiet spaces. I had some time to get real with the Lord about some things in my life that were bugging me, and some things He's allowed that have hurt. Then, my thoughts turned to the weeds that so easily spring up in my life, and heart. I sort of got angry, if I'm completely honest!! I thought silently, "why on Earth is it that in this scorching heat my pitiful grass is all scorched, and ratty, burned up, and these weeds are just as hearty, and are thriving so well?". I thought, in my frustration, "why mess with the weeds? They ARE green, thriving and hearty".
Then I started thinking about just what it is I want. More area to produce more fruit, and some cutting flowers to add beauty to my garden and home, and share with others. As I've said before, the simple abundances...


I began to feel softened, and for some of the walls that had been up around my heart crumble. I began to open up to the Lord that I want more fruit, and trust his loving hand to come and "round up" the weeds in my heart and life, even in the life of our family. I see Him being so faithful to the invitation into the plots of my life that are riddled with weeds.


Now I have lots of scorched, dead weeds that must be raked, hoed, and removed from the garden once we get enough rain to soften the soil enough to remove them all. After all the weeds are gone, I will till, and begin working the soil, so that it's ready for the next growing season.


Thank you Lord for making me ready for the seasons you have for me.

3 comments:

Missy said...

"Weeds in my garden, weeds in my head, weeds weeds weeds, just covering the dead." It sounds like a song doesn't it!
Stace' your so insightful. I enjoy your observations on life and spirituality and the like.
You are such an encouragment to those around you!

Marsha said...

Girl, I LOVE this! The Lord has gifted you with wonderful insights. You see and process the way the Jesus often spoke, in parables. And so often what He used was nature. I'm actually working on a post for my blog about fallowed ground. I hope to have it ready tonight or tomorrow. Probably tomorrow. There's a picture I want to post with it of Paw Paw's garden. Do you remember how beautiful and abundant it always was? Fallowed ground had something to do with that.
Love you girl! Keep it up.

Stace' said...

Thanks Marmi!!!!!! Can't wait to read your post.