Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Dog Days

Aaaah, August. There is nothing like hot, humid weather to make me long for Fall.

My first "real garden" has proven to be a real learning experience. I have neighbors I will refer to as "Mr. & Mrs. Green" that have been gardening most of their 87 & 84 yrs. They have QUITE a garden, and have the 9 yrs. I have lived here. This is the first garden they have had without corn in 57 yrs. However, they won't be going without green beans or tomatoes this year, that's for sure!!! Their 2 rows of beans have yielded over 100 canned quarts. They have roughly 50 tomato plants out.

Mrs. Green asked me "How's your garden growing?" a couple of weeks ago, and I told her I felt it has been a success apart from great disappointment over my beans. I told her how sickened I am over the difference in Runners, and Bush beans. She said she almost told me not to bother with the Bush Beans, but figured I knew what I wanted. I assured her that any advice is greatly appreciated and VERY welcome. Later that evening she called me over to come "chat a spell" and she had something she wanted to give me. She sent Mr. Green to their deep freezer to get me some Beans (yes, they're runners!!). This variety has been passed down in their family for over 90 yrs. That just amazes me!!!

I got busy the following day pulling up cucumbers. I had pickled roughly 30 lbs. of cukes. I've had my fill!!! I decided that the beans were well worth the space, and it became very important for me to at least put up another 5 qts. I tilled, and made my trellis for the beans to run on. We had a very good soaking rain, followed by very hot weather. Within the past week my beans have sprouted, and grown about 7". I'm hopeful that I will end up with a good yield before frost.

The Lord has faithfully used this garden to comfort, and encourage me this Summer. I don't much like summer, but this time of sewing and reaping make the season much more bearable for me. It's also served as a great reminder of just how all the various blessings and trials work together to bring about greater fruit.

Like Mrs. Green said upon exiting my garden early in the season, "How could any man plant a bean, over time watch it grow, and deny the existence of a good God?".

9 comments:

Ames said...

Hooray for more Garden Gal.

Your garden looks great. And, I can attest that the produce tastes great, too.

Chuck Hicks said...

But I never picked cotton...

My mother did, and my brother did, and my sister did
And my daddy died young --
Workin' in a coal mine...

Stace' said...

Ames,
I'm glad you enjoyed the garden goodies!! Keep watering the plants I gave you. You may be suprised. Water daily until they completely die.

Chuck,
I posted pictures of your cotton. You will be able to pick soon...

Anonymous said...

there's a southern accent, where I come from;
the young'uns call it country, the yankees call it dumb;
I got my own way of workin', but every job is done
with a southern accent, where I come from.

Stace' said...

Ange'
I don't know that song. What is it, or did you just make that up on the fly?

Anonymous said...

I wish. Tom Petty, "Southern Accent," on the album of the same title (I think); covered by Johnny Cash on one of the American Recordings albums.

Chuck Hicks said...

Mrs. Green? Don't you mean Mrs. White?

Stace' said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stace' said...
This comment has been removed by the author.