Monday, December 10, 2007

Tradition



Saturday night The Dawg and I went out to dinner, and were out later than usual. I had called my Mother (Grannie) to see if it would be okay with her if we were later than we had originally planned. She was fine with it, and wanted to know when to get the children in the bed. I told her the time I wanted them in bed, of course giving them ample time to get to sleep before we got in. :)


When we left for the evening our eldest was putting our Christmas tree together, and putting lights on. No problem. When we got home, much to my disappointment, I found that our tree had been fully decorated, and the kids were still up. WHAT???? I just stood there. There was some confusion, and some deception. My poor Mom was tricked!!! One of our children was overcome by an impish tendency and couldn't help himself. I had one bawling in remorse, and asking if I was angry. I responded that I wasn't angry at all, just disappointed. The tree is a tradition, and it's one that I want us to do together. I tried to love what they had done, but sat looking at it after they finally got to bed, and looked at Dawg and said "I can't do this. It's going to have to be redone". He grinned and said "Aaaahhhh, tomorrow we'll have them take all the decorations off, and we'll just sit and watch". We did just that!! Today they have been dying to redecorate. Nope!!! They must wait until the mood strikes me. Ha!


I did pull out some balls and fill them with sugar like Missy posted that she did in her kitchen. I had some old fabric I tore and used to hang them from the dining room light. Sort of a "rustic/country" look.


I'm getting in the mood for Christmas, but I wish it were snowing, and not 80 degrees. Mercy!!!


Ho! Ho! Ho!

7 comments:

Missy said...

I am sooo with you on the tree thing. Your balls look great!
Maybe by the time we come up the temp will have dropped and we can enjoy our "special treat" that I'm bringing.
I am counting the days girl. Tell the Dawg to buckle up because we are coming to town and it will be game time galore!

Marsha said...

I agree...family tradition to put it up. But don't sit and watch them put it all back together... join 'em!
I'm thinking of trying the balls thing, too. I just didn't do it pre-tea because I knew I needed to put the light to the ceiling because I moved the table.

Stace' said...

Missy, can't wait!


Marsha, that was the whole point of the kids taking the ornaments off. I want to decorate too!!!

Kim said...

So, it's Monday. Did you start your "I think you can" stuff today? You can do it!

Stace' said...

No, I'm actually giving myself a few days to feel strong and ready to exercise. I may walk to town today (3 miles round trip).

Marsha said...

So...have they undecorated the tree yet? Have you all redecorated it together?

Gwen said...

I've never seen sugar in glass balls before; they look lovely!