Monday, September 24, 2007

Forgiveness Isn't...


I've had a few additional thoughts about forgiveness, and hope they're helpful.


Often times when there is a sin we need to forgive, or need to be forgiven of, we either forget there are consequences or get hung up on making sure there ARE concequences. There tends to be this assumption that forgiveness makes everything "okay" and lets the offending party off the hook. I think that is where most folks recoil at the thought of forgiveness without really understanding what forgiveness is, and the freedom waiting on us when we do forgive.


Certainly there are varying degrees of sin/offense on a human level that require varied responses or boundaries. Each situation can be very unique and complicated. I think we usually think of forgiveness in terms of being a kid, someone kicks us in the shin, it hurts some, they say "sorry" we tell them we forgive them, or "it's okay", then go on, leaving ourselves wide open to continue to be kicked.


I tend to think of forgiveness like being in a basketball game, and being fouled. Some fouls are just simple, unintentional slaps on the arm, others are face wrecking nose breaks.


If someone simply slaps me on the arm, I most likely need to forgive, and go on. Especially if they acknowledge it. Other times may require me not to even acknowledge that I've been fouled at all. If it's a broken nose, I need to get my hiney off the court, and get to a Dr. to set my nose. My concern becomes getting fixed or healed. The Ref. will take care of the offending player, ESPECIALLY if He's my Dad!! Fines, and maybe ejection are what that player is in for. I would do well to be more concerned about my nose, and the future of my face. There ARE consequences for him. They are none of my business. Once I forgive, and the healing begins, I'll be able to clearly see the boundaries that need to be in place around my life, if any. Nobody ever sees clearly with watery eyes from a broken nose.


The Father who was willing to give His only Son to shed His blood for me, sees all, and knows my heart along with the heart of anyone I've ever hurt, or been hurt by. Nothing escapes his eye, and He cares far beyond my comprehension, yet not nearly as much about many petty things I may get hung up on. He's righteous and JUST.


As I've come to know what my Father is like, I've been pleasantly surprised to find that He is nothing like what I thought He was, based on the natural "God Representatives" I had. In my mind's eye, I had Him fashioned all wrong!!! He doesn't go passive, He won't leave us, yet He's not a bully. He won't jump into the pit of unforgiveness, or bitterness WITH us. His rescue of me hasn't always been as comfortable and easy as I've wanted it to be, and looking back I now agree. He demands far more of me than I thought He would, and far less at other times. His yoke is easy, His burden is light. That doesn't mean there ISN'T a yoke, or a burden.


We will each have unique characters in the story of our life, but the story lines are very similar. We all desperately need to be forgiven, and if we haven't been fouled yet, it's only a matter of time...

4 comments:

Marsha said...

Great analogy. This one's being printed out also.
You are so much farther down the road than I was at your age.
Keep on growing and keep on posting! It challenges and encourages the rest of us on the journey.

Chuck Hicks said...

These are essential points you make.

As I was reading this I thought about King David. His adultery with Bathsheba and conspiracy to murder Uriah were, by most measures of reckoning, "game misconducts" (to keep on the sports analogy); he should have been "ejected."

But his penitence and self-judgment were so genuine that God left him in the game -- albeit, with a kingdom that fell into steady decline from that point onward.

Here's the key -- you never had to worry about David falling into those kind of sins again.

Missy said...

I love you my wise friend!

Stace' said...
This comment has been removed by the author.