Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Tofu?






While in Tn. this weekend with The Dawg, I tried a menu item I would not ordinarily get. I purposefully stepped out of my comfort zone and ordered a sandwich with hummus, veggies, and thinly sliced, firm, marinated, baked TOFU on pita with a salad on the side. It was AMAZING!!! Even The Dawg tried it, and liked it. I was most pleasantly surprised.

I decided to try out this discovery on my family, and made my own version. The kids kept asking "are we really having tofu?" as they were helping make hummus, and the marinade. It was almost as though they thought I was playing a joke on them.

Everyone ate a second pita, and our pickiest child even requested seconds on the tofu. I'm thrilled!!!

If you've not ever tried the stuff, give it a spin...

5 comments:

Chuck Hicks said...

We tried that at the Tomato Head in Knoxville (Market Square) and it was a shocker. I don't remember exactly what I ordered but it was muy bien, too.

Tofu makes me want to get out my 8 Man videos, or maybe Speed Racer...

Missy said...

First of all "The Dawg"? What is that about? Secondly, MAJOR Kudos on making the tofu! I am most impressed! How about you coming on down to AL. and whippin me up some? YES...we do have tofu in alabama!

Stace' said...

Plates,
"The Dawg" is Chuck's blog...check it out.

Ames said...

In what did you marinate the tofu?

Stace' said...

John Boy and Billy's meat marinade, canola oil, lemon juice, herbs, and lots of garlic. Sliced very thin, and baked well.