Saturday, September 8, 2007

Hospitality?


I think I've had an enlightening thing happen this week. More of a "DUH" thing that anything, but heck, I've learned something, and for that I'll rejoice!


I've had a couple of opportunities arise over the past week and a half where neighbors have had something of a serious nature going on in their lives. You know, especially in the church I grew up in, and maybe in the "old" South, in general, it was just standard to offer a meal, and any help needed. Often times folks know they need the help of a meal prepared for them, or help with housework, or some other practical need, and will refuse the offer. Then you're left with sort of an awkward situation. Usually I have just plowed along and done what's been in my heart to do. It becomes a judgement call.


It dawned on me a week and a half ago when someone was insisting that they may not be at home much after a tragedy, and they didn't know if they would eat a meal there, that one of the best meals I can send to someone is a homemade Chicken Pot Pie, and an Apple Pie. They can freeze the thing for months if needed, or can go ahead and use it, but it's there. I can also make many ahead, and freeze them so I can have them on hand, ready to go at a moment's notice, as is usually the need. I HAVE them, so I can explain to the sweet decline that they are already in the freezer, all I have to do is pull them out, and bring them over. Who can deny that those are also some of the grandest comfort foods?


Soooo...tonight when I got the news that a neighbor's small child is in the hospital with pneumonia I left a message that I was bringing dinner (pot pie meal) would they like it Monday, or Tuesday?


Viola' problem solved!!!!

10 comments:

Marsha said...

You go girl! What a wonderful way to show hospitality and share the love of Christ at the same time.

Missy said...

Great minds think a like! I am taking a meal to some people this week too. I was going to blog on my page this week on how I think hospitality is a lost art. I think you and I were raised with that art as a high priority and I'm glad to see us carrying that on! Love ya girl!

Missy said...

BTW...Is this one of your actuall pies?

Chuck Hicks said...

God is not unjust as to overlook your work and the love that you showed for his sake in serving the saints, as you do. -- Hebrews 6:10

You go, Gal!

Missy said...

That was sweet

Stace' said...

Thanks Honey!!!

Missy, I have to admit that I ripped the pic of the pot pie off the net.

Ames said...

I am going to steal that idea. (Along with many others I have gotten from you.)

Anonymous said...

Okay, you must reveal yourself...I think I know which "Stace" but I need to be sure!

BTW...I love making meals for people too. We've been on the receiving end and it's a wonderful thing.

Stace' said...

Stace' you went to Michael Bolton with...

Anonymous said...

OMG...you remember that? My two icons...Michael Bolton and Celine Dion!!