Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Fall In The Kitchen


Thursday evening my children had to pay the Piper for misdeeds and go to bed at 6:30. My hubby was teaching his last class at a local community college, and I had the remote!!! I watched Food Network until he got home. It was marvelous!


I caught Rachel Ray first and she made the most unusual dish with a pumpkin sauce. It had herbs, spices, and sausage. It was served over whole wheat pasta, alongside whole grain bread, and a salad. I had all the ingredients and decided to give it a go. I fixed it tonight and my family liked it. I got responses ranging from "Yeah, it's edible" (from our pickiest), "I like it, I love the bread", to "I love it" and then The Dawg said "The pumpkin makes it pretty girly, but I love the sausage". I'll take that as a success.


I served the sauce over whole grain/whole wheat mixed spaghetti noodles, a french loaf made of an organic white whole wheat, and a caesar salad.


I'm trying to save $$ so we will be having left over noodles in lo mein tomorrow night. We are having company over Friday night and I am doing something I've never done before. It's an idea I saw in a recent Southern Living issue, and I think it'll be fun. I'll blog on the idea later, and let you know how it went. I fear that if I blog about it the guests will read, and will cancel on us. :0)
Pumpkin Sausage Sauce
1 tbsp EVOO (I didn't use...)
1 lb Italian Sausage (I used hot)
4 cloves garlic
1 med. onion finely chopped
1 bay leaf
4-6 sage leaves cut very fine
1 cu. dry white wine (didn't have any on hand)
1 cu. chicken stock
1 cu canned pumpkin (I used more like 1 1/2 cu)
1/2 cu. heavy cream (I used fat-free half and half)
1/8 tsp. gr. cinnamon (I always use more spices!)
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
salt to taste
pepper
pasta
parmesean to garnish
sides : whole grain bread, and salad
Directions: Cook sausage, then I cut them up. Drain well. Chop onion and herbs well, except bay leaf. Add to sausage. Sweat onion, add stock (and wine if you like), add bay leaf, add pumpkin, stir well, add cream, press garlic and add. Add spices. Continue to stir well. I just brought it to a simmer then reduced heat to low as I got my water started for my pasta. I covered it and let it come together until the pasta was finished.
Enjoy!!

9 comments:

Marsha said...

Okay, post the "girly" pumpkin sauce recipe please! I'd love to try it. It all sounds very yummy

Missy said...

Yes, please do post. I would love to try it!
Looks great :)

Chuck Hicks said...

I dunno...it's awfully girly....

Ames said...

I won't cancel on you. I am in it with you through the thick and thin. Besides, if it is horrible, I'm trying to cut back anyway.

Marsha said...

Oh yummy! I'm gonna try this "girly" dish out later this week! One thing, how do you "sweat" an onion? ;)

Stace' said...

cook over med. heat until translucent

Marsha said...

I never heard that term before. Thanks for the new knowledge.

Marsha said...

Yummy! We had it tonight and Mike liked it. I thought I had bay leaves and I did not, so that wasn't in it. I used fat free half and half instead of the whipping cream. I also added the dry wine - only I used cooking white wine.
So, I don't know what it would have tasted like with the bay leaves, but we both liked it! Thanks again for the heads up on this recipe.

Stace' said...

Glad you liked it.

I don't think bay leaves do a thing to any recipe. I don't quite know what the point of a bay leaf is.