Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A Great Example


A few weeks ago I ran into a neighbor at a local store. Just hours before, I had attended a John Rosemond seminar at our church based on one of his best books, Teen-Proofing. The neighbor and I exchanged friendly "Hey, how are you?" greetings, then I asked how his youngest child was doing in college. It's her first yr. Of course, he opened up conversation about his other 2 children. He kept talking about one in particular and referring to all the trouble they've been in. I have heard bits and pieces, but don't really know anything about this young adult. I told him that.
My neighbor and I stood in the aisle for a good 30 min. He told me about all the trials they have been through with this particular child of theirs. Drugs, theft (related to drugs), poor peer choices, and the like. This guy made it clear he has a deep faith and that is what has kept him over the past few years. He also told me how extending grace to this child year after year was only enabling more trouble, he eventually had to get tough. He told me that while working one day, he received a phone call from the Police that they needed a large sum of money, or needed to come to his house and "collect" the son. He had to set up his son to be at his apartment at a certain time that evening so the Police could come pick him up. Nobody in the family knew of this phone call. I can't imagine how hard that must have been, especially knowing what a heartache it would be for the Mother. This is true love in action. He made it clear that none of this was done out of anger, but out of love, and how utterly difficult it was.
I stood in the aisle in absolute awe. I told him how much I respect him, and how it gives me comfort to know that should the day ever come where I have to be tough with one of my children for their greater good, the Lord will sustain me and grant me the grace to execute whatever I must.
I saw this neighbor's truck pass by my house this morning while I was dusting, and offered up a prayer of thanksgiving for the example he has set.
Thank you Lord that though we don't live in the most costly neighborhood in this town, I believe it is easily one of the richest! I am surrounded by amazing stories and lessons.

4 comments:

Missy said...

Nice story.
You do always have good neighbor stories. I don't really know any of my neighbors.
Also, I like how you put pictures with all of your post. It makes it more homey!

Kim said...

I've missed your last few blogs and I've just the last minutes catching up. You write very well. I enjoy reading your blog. Your blog IS homey, by the way.

Marsha said...

There are so few true neighborhoods these days with over the fence conversation. I know you've said that it's not that way on the other side, though. Still, it's nice to know your neighbors and be able to converse with them in the yard or in the store.
One thing I've been thinking about "communities" these days is how the meaning of the word is changing.
It's gone from the era of enjoying each other's company on the front porch, to moving to the backyard patio, complete with a privacy fence so the neighbors can't see in. Then it moved to cal-de-sac living with 3 or 4 families watching out for each other. Next came his friends being at work and her friends at aerobics and MAYBE common friends at church if they are church people. And today, a community is a group of people who get together online and "talk" with one another, and they can be from anywhere in the world.
It's kinda sad.

Stace' said...

I am so very thankful for the strong community here in this neighborhood, and will enjoy it as long as we are here, and they are alive.