Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Trick or Treat


For many years we chose to abstain from Halloween in any way. I think in some way it made us feel more spiritual, until we began to explain WHY we weren't begging for candy from willingly sharing neighbors to our very inquisitive oldest child. We saw that we would defile him more by explaining our "conviction" than just letting him go out dressed in a fun costume, not evil, and collect some candy.


4 years ago we started gathering for a meal, and pounding the streets with dear friends of ours. It has been great fun and created marvelous memories. Tonight was no different. Fun was had by all, and lots of laughs were enjoyed, not to mention the sugar!!!


I do have to say that it was refreshing to see our children dressed cute and fun, and not in evil costumes. There were very few cute costumes out tonight.


I sure do love our little crews!!!

9 comments:

Chuck Hicks said...

Front row: Flash & Dorothy
Back row: Pippy with a perm, Deputy Dalmatian, Princess Lip Stick, Austin Powers' girlfriend, Matt Dillon Jr., the Dawg, & Elvis the Acolyte.

The Acolyte's tattoo makes no reference to mom.

Ames said...

I noticed the tattoo. I thought you were raising your children to be southerns. No reference to Mom? I am disappointed.

Missy said...

In the words of Molly Shannon "Good Times, Yeah".
Glad you got to keep up your tradition!

I was sad last night to see too many scary costumes too!

Missy said...

Hey hope you have fun at your GRITS night! Can't wait to hear about the results.

Marsha said...

So glad you all had a fun time.

I agree about the costume stuff. It's like the scarier and grosser the better.

I even dressed up yesterday - briefly. I knew there was no sense in trying to tutor, but I did want to drop some candy off for them. So, I took a tall kitchen garbage bag, cut a hole in the top and one one each side and put it on. I went as white trash. They kids thought I was crazy but they loved it.

Stace' said...

Marsha,
That's hilarious!

Shan said...

Awesome.

I was Arwen. Minus the nice hair and hauntingly beautiful face, but dammit I had the cloak and the long dress thing. Hey.....maybe I was Arwen-after-twelve-years-of-marriage....pudgified, tired around the eyes, slightly grey, faintly irritated with everything Aragorn did.

Are you going to do my meme?

Stace' said...

Shan,
That's such a tough exercise. I'll give it a stab (no pun intended).

Knitting-Ames is going to give me some lessons. I had some yarn I was going to use for a scarf and one of my children cut it. ARGH!!I told them they would have to replace the yarn. They keep asking me to pick some out while at Wal-Mart, but NO!! I'm waiting until next weekend. There is a shop in the town we are visiting that has crazy expensive yarn. Ha! Ha!! I bet they'll never cut my yarn again. Not to worry, this child has more money than I do.

Ames said...

Stace', I stand in awe. Making them take you to a yarn shop. Wow!

I hope you are taking notes on that one, Shan. You never know if you might need that.


Marsha, "white trash", I love it.